Translation grant for foreign publishing houses (2020/1)
The Petőfi Literary Fund contributes to the publication by foreign publishing houses of works by Hungarian authors in translation.
Since expertise and knowledge of the cultures, publishing tendencies and reading habits of the given linguistic area or country are essential for the success of a foreign publication, our institution is looking forward to cooperating with publishing houses which have the background knowledge and experience required for this task.
We are calling for applications for projects concerning the translation and publication of fiction / historical or cultural historical non-fiction works by Hungarian authors.
If needed, our institution provides professional support, including materials, assistance contacting Hungarian literary scholars, photographs, marketing tools, etc. We also take part in financing the translation costs (up to 100 per cent of the overall translation costs; the percentage may differ in special cases). These costs will be paid in advance by the partner, and our institution will transfer the sum to the partner after publication as soon as the partner has certified that the translation costs have been paid and sends 10 copies of the book to us, as specified in the cooperation agreement.
As part of the cooperation project, it is the partner’s task to have the work translated, edited, printed, and distributed. The partner covers the costs of the aforementioned steps and provides in advance the sum that our institution contributes to defray the costs of translation.
A foreign-based publishing house may apply with a project by submitting the following:
- a completed application form,
- a short introduction of the work in question, the author, the translator and the publishing house (a recent catalogue),
- a copy of the contract with the copyright’s owner,
- a copy of the contract with the translator.
Publishing projects already in progress will also be considered if the translated book is to be published after the submission deadline.
A board of invited literary experts reviews all applications with the the following considerations in mind:
- literary/scientific merit of the proposed work
- feasibility of a successful publication (experience of the publisher, quality of the translation, prospective distribution)
- whether there is any specific occasion related to the work (anniversary, related cultural events, etc.)
The decision concerning cooperation will be announced 8 weeks after the submission deadline.
Our institution offers a cooperation agreement.
The translation is to be published within two years of the signing of the agreement.
- deadline: 31 August 2020
- address: email@example.com (the object of the e-mail has to be the title of the call)
Information: Mária Hajba – firstname.lastname@example.org